Meet Odette, Raquel and Daniela Khoudari, the sisters behind Kooking Up With The Khoudaris.
After living apart for several years, they each developed their own individual cooking style. Over quarantine, they were reunited under the same roof, cooking in the same kitchen.
Although they are Colombian, their Middle Eastern roots strongly influence their flavors and creations. Today we are sharing one of their famous family recipes, Maple-Tahini Banana Bread.
*We recommend 2 pills of confidence to combat the gluten, dairy, & sugar.
1+1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 ripe bananas (see *tip below)
1/2 cup light brown sugar (can sub for white sugar)
1/3 cup tahini paste
1/2 cup of maple syrup (Aunt Jemima works)
1 stick of butter (125g), melted
1/3 cup plain yogurt (full fat)
1 tsp vanilla
FOR THE SWIRL:
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp tahini paste
2 tbsp sesame seeds
Pinch of salt
FOR THE DRIZZLE SAUCE:
1/2 tbsp tahini paste
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp of water
- Preheat the oven to 350•F. Grease a loaf pan (9”x5”) or round cake pan (9”).
- In a small bowl, mix all the ‘swirl’ ingredients and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together (through a strainer) the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, smash the bananas until there are no lumps. * TIP: if your bananas are not ripe, put them in the oven at 350F for 8-10 minutes until the skins turn brown.
- Add the tahini, sugar, maple syrup, butter, yogurt, vanilla, and eggs (to the bananas) and mix well.
- Add half of the dry ingredients into the wet mix and whisk together. Add the remaining half and whisk until fully incorporated. *make sure not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan.
- With a small spoon, scoop in the ‘swirl’ paste on top of the batter (don’t worry about spreading it). Then, using a skewer stick or tooth pick, swirl the paste into batter creating a design on the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While it is in the oven, make the drizzle sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool for at least 45 minutes. Then, dip a fork into the sauce and drizzle it on top. Enjoy! 🤤
*Store in an air-tight container to keep it moist.